What is Instagram and should my business be on it?
What is it?
A popular photo and video sharing (15 seconds) application that allows users to take a picture, apply a filter and write a caption. It is a very simple and easy way to collect pictures to be used on other social networks. Instagram launched in 2010 and was bought by Facebook in 2012. It now has 150 million active users, primarily between the ages of 18-29, but ages 30-49 have a strong presence as well.
What’s the big deal?
Instagram works best for product-based companies in industries like fashion, home decor and food. Sports and music-related businesses also are successful. Anything that has a story to tell and can easily tell it using a visual.
How can I use it?
- Show pictures of new products, before and afters, and sneak peeks of future events and offerings.
- Video a demonstration of product.
- Use Instagram as a portfolio and show photos and/or videos of your work.
- Take pictures of employees desks, lunches or work to show organization's culture.
- Show photos that represent your brand or are related to your product. For example, if you are selling hiking equipment, a beautiful picture of a trail in the fall might engage your audience.
This is an excerpt from Keystone's Social Media Basics ebook. Download your copy to learn the basics of the most popular social media platforms and see examples of national and local brands that are excelling at each.