Top 3 Email Marketing Trends in 2016
As you start working through your digital marketing strategy this year, it’s important to keep in mind that we live in an ever-changing digital landscape. In order to help you stay on top of the digital marketing trends, we’ve put together a list of the top 2016 email trends. Pay close attention to these trends and your email message is sure to rise to the top of any inbox.
1. Personalization will become standard.
We aren’t talking about organizing your contact list, sending segmented campaigns, and inserting the <FIRSTNAME> field in the greeting. Everyone knows how to do that. Personalization is about sending emails that evoke a personal experience and are relevant at the time of open. But, how do you accomplish a personal experience through email? The first step is to look at your data. Noticing trends in your contacts actions can help you achieve this right away.
A few examples:
- We’ve noticed you haven’t stopped by in a while.
- Thank you for being a top user/customer.
- New topics/products we think you might love.
2. Mobile is king.
Of course, content is right up there in importance, but this year, we predict that mobile will be even bigger and more powerful. Two-thirds of emails are now read on mobile devices, but we can no longer lump all non-computer devices into one type. A tablet is different than a smartphone and in 2016, the trend is to capitalize on the experience of each device.
A few examples:
- Create carousel type elements to add movement to your email.
- Add a hamburger menu, which creates a mini-website of sorts.
- Think interactive and add features that evoke participation.
3. Data rules the world.
Overall, in order to stay ahead, you must collect data on everything. In 2016, take time to set up a campaign tracking system – see what works and what doesn’t work. Capture trends of your readers and react by planning strategy around the data. It not only will improve targeting and segmenting, but personalization, too.
A few data points you must collect:
- Demographics – age, sex, location
- Preference – deals/articles/products they want to receive
- Behavioral – web pages browsed, email opens/clicks
Don’t worry, we’ll provide more “how-to” explanations on these trends in the coming months. In the meantime, for help on your 2016 digital marketing strategy, including email marketing contact our Digital Marketing Team. We are here to help!